Why Are Gnashing Teeth More Prone To Pain?

Grumbling teeth can be a real nuisance, as teeth form a fairly important structure that makes talking and eating food possible.
Why are gnashing teeth more prone to pain?

Dentistry is an important part of speech as well as eating and digesting food. Of course, the teeth also look aesthetically pleasing. For this reason, gnashing teeth are not only a painful problem, but can affect us in many other ways as well.

You must have suffered from toothache sometimes. It is a warning sign that something harmful is happening in the teeth. In this article, we will explain the reasons why teeth are so sensitive to pain.

Layers of teeth and gnashing of teeth

Teeth consist of three basic parts:

  • It  is the invisible part inside the tooth core that is deep in the alveolar bone. It is the end of the tooth that is covered with the gum.
  • The crown is the protruding part of the alveolar bone that is visible.
  • The neck part  connects the root and the crown.

There is a cavity inside the tooth through which the nerves and blood vessels that feed the teeth enter the base of the root. Dentin covers and protects this cavity.

Dentin is a dental bone composed of calcium hydroxyapatite. This structure is able to protect the entry of harmful substances into the blood vessels and nerves of that tooth.

Grumbling teeth are a disgusting affliction.
Toothache can be caused by many things.

Dentin – protective layer

Dentin is made up of cells called odontoblasts, which are located between the enamel and the tooth core. They are able to pass through the dentin. 

When changes occur in the tooth, such as cavities, it can destroy or cause damage to the dentin. Odontoblasts are able to correct the problem and thus the tooth core remains protected.

However, dentin alone is not enough to protect teeth. It requires a harder substance to prevent destruction when eating or talking about food. This substance is called mica.

Mica – very layer

Tooth enamel is a really hard layer made up entirely of hydroxyapatite. Dentin also contains this mineral, but in a much smaller amount. The cavities created by odontoblasts make it less durable.

The mica is white and hard and contains 96% hydroxyapatite. The remaining 4% consists of water and proteins. Its structure contains cells called ameloblasts, which create enamel before the tooth erupts.

When a tooth rises to the surface, ameloblasts are destroyed and tooth enamel never regenerates again. As you can see, taking care of it is important because people only have a limited amount of tooth enamel throughout their lives. 

Cement – root layer

This substance is located at the base of the tooth just above the dentin. This layer is also softer than tooth enamel, as it contains only 65% ​​hydroxyapatite.

Cement has two layers. One of them does not contain cells and is formed before the tooth rises to the surface. Cement also contains cement cells, which for functional reasons form a mineral-rich growth base after tooth eruption.

The main function of cement is to hold the fibers of the periosteum attached to the tooth – it is the layer that covers the bone around the tooth. Cement is like an adhesive that keeps a tooth attached to a cavity.

Dentistry has several different functions in the body, and toothache is a bad sign.

Why are gnashing teeth sensitive to pain?

The answer to this question is obtained when we look a little more at the anatomy of the teeth. As we have already mentioned, dentin contains osteoblasts. The dentin thus communicates with the dental nucleus, where the nerve terminals of these cells are located.

The enamel does not regenerate, so it stops protecting the dentin as it wears out or when tooth decay destroys it. It is therefore more vulnerable to external factors. The cavities of the dentin remain open and external stimuli can reach the nerve endings, leading to a feeling of pain.

To prevent this from happening, you need to follow the right kind of dental hygiene; visit your dentist often enough and maintain a healthy diet. It is the only way to protect the enamel and dentin.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button