Italy is known for good food, wine, desserts, ice cream and of course also heavenly breads. Today we will tell you how to bake from the beginning a delicious Italian bread called ciabatta.
The truth about bread
You’ve certainly read numerous times about the disadvantages of eating bread, how harmful it is to consume, carbohydrates increase body weight, bleached wheat and fats are unhealthy, and so on.
This is not always the case.
It is important to understand what carbohydrates really are and how much they are in fine wheat flour. Also, remember that moderation in everything is key here too, and that portion size and daily routines are crucial.
Eating this Italian bread or other similar bread with a chocolate spread or jam will not make it bad or dangerous. It is more important to keep in mind the amount of bread you eat, your daily caloric intake, and other eating habits.
Next, we’ll tell you the right technique on how to bake this Italian bread at home.
Follow our instructions to get a delicious result. At first, this may seem challenging, but it’s worth it when you smell fresh Italian ciabatta in your hands.
This is how you bake Italian bread at home
Tips for baking delicious Italian bread
Before we dive into the instructions, we want to mention a few tips for making the dough.
Unlike traditional bread baking, there are a few secrets to baking Italian bread. The dough is supposed to be very moist, unlike traditional bread doughs.
The fermentation of the dough is the most important point in the recipe, as the taste and texture of the bread originate from the fermentation. Let the dough rise for at least 12 hours to allow the yeast to do its job.
Soon you will be able to bake ciabatta in your home. It’s easier than you think, but be sure to be patient. This is not a 20 minute quick bread recipe.
Substances (x 2)
- 7.5 dl of wheat flour
- 2.5 dl of water
- 15 g of dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- We make two doughs, one of which needs to rise for 12 hours. This step cannot be skipped, otherwise the bread will not taste like Italian bread.
- Mix wheat flour, yeast, salt and water. Don’t mix too much. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and leave to rise overnight (or 12 hours).
- The next morning, prepare a similar dough, using the same ingredients as in the first dough. Leave this dough to rise for 3 hours.
- Once the rise time for the dough is over, gently knead them by hand and add the honey.
- Combine the doughs, knead them gently and let rise for 20 minutes, do not cover the dough.
- If the dough starts to dry out or crack, do not try to repair it by adding water or flour. Just let the dough be.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- Put the dough on the baking sheet in an elongated shape.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 min. Once the bread is elevated and has a golden brown color, tap it a few times. When the sound is rubbery, it is a sign that the bread is ready.