Many put sugar in rice porridge to make it good. However, sugar can be replaced with other ingredients to give flavor and sweetness, and this time we’re giving a couple of different, spiced versions of traditional rice porridge.
First, you need skim milk (we recommend this because of both low cholesterol and low fat). One cup of milk gives you 300 mg of calcium, so this is the perfect supplement for those who need more calcium, such as women undergoing menopause.
The recipes we share now are healthy choices, above all because their ingredients are low in fat but high in calcium. These porridges are perfect options for promoting weight management and health, although it must be remembered that they also always need a balanced diet and plenty of exercise.
Low-calorie rice porridge is a great help for those looking for a balanced diet also because while it promotes weight control, it is high in protein and carbohydrates.
Citrus-flavored rice porridge
- 170 g of porridge rice
- 2 dl of water
- 1 liter of skim milk
- 1 grated orange peel
- 1 grated lemon zest
- Natural sweetener (eg honey or stevia)
- 1 cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon
All of these ingredients are easy to obtain and are completely natural. You will find that you do not need to add sugar to rice porridge to make it taste good.
- Rinse and strain the rice.
- Boil the rice in water.
- Add cinnamon, grated fruit peel and sweetener.
- Allow the ingredients to boil until the water is completely absorbed. Don’t forget to stir the rice so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- When all the water has been absorbed, add a liter of skim milk. Then let the milk and rice boil slowly.
- When the porridge is solid but there is still some liquid in it, take the pot off the stove, cover it and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. If you like the porridge cold, let it cool down a bit in the fridge.
This recipe provides 83 calories per serving, along with the following amounts of other nutrients:
- 0.2 grams of fat
- 5.6 grams of protein
- 10.4 grams of carbohydrates
One great thing is that cinnamon and citrus peels add a lot of flavor, but not calories.
Vegan whole grain rice porridge
If you have lactose intolerance or are vegan, you can still enjoy low-calorie rice porridge, for example, with the following recipe.
You can make porridge using lactose-free milk or vegetable milk (rice, soy, almond milk, etc.) without having to worry about your body reacting to lactose. Worth a try if vegan and lactose-free rice porridge attracts!
- 85 g of wholemeal rice
- 2 dl boiling water and 2 dl cold water
- 750 ml oat milk
- 30 ml of stevia
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Ground cinnamon
- Start by boiling your whole grain rice in water.
- Add cold water and strain.
- Heat the oat milk with the cinnamon stick and lemon zest, and when the mixture starts to boil, add the rice.
- Allow the ingredients to boil for about half an hour and stir constantly to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the porridge to cool.
- Before serving, sprinkle more cinnamon on the surface of the porridge.
As we mentioned, you can use any low-calorie milk to make rice porridge: skim milk, soy or almond milk, or anything like that. The success of this delicacy is guaranteed in any case!