Taking care of your shoes is necessary to ensure that they last for several years. Want to learn how to clean your shoes really properly? Keep reading!
So here are a few tips to help you thoroughly clean different types of shoes.
This is how you should clean your shoes
1. Leather shoes
If you have leather shoes, you may be wondering how to properly care for them. Leather shoes are a favorite of many, but it is very important to know how to take care of them.
- The first step here is to clean the straps and brush the shoes gently. This way, you can remove those dirt particles that make cleaning difficult.
- Pour half a liter of room temperature water into a container and add plenty of neutral detergent.
- Dampen a cloth with this mixture, and use it to clean your shoes.
- Once you have got the dirt off, soak another piece of cloth in clean water and clean the shoes with it even more.
- Finally, dry the shoes with a dry cloth.
- You can also polish your shoes to make them shiny and completely new-looking again.
2. Suede shoes
Many find it difficult to keep suede shoes clean, as there does not always seem to be accurate information on cleaning these types of shoes. Moccasins look great, but cleaning them can be a real hassle.
Moccasins require daily brushing.
It is important to do this with a soft brush and always in parallel. Protective products for mocha are also very good for keeping leather in good condition.
- To remove more tightly adhering dirt, you can use the same brush, but brush a little harder.
- If there is mud in the mocha, one good idea is to put the shoes in the sun until the leather and mud dry, and then brush the surface with a towel or mocha brush.
- Is there a stain on the mocha that won’t come off in any way? In this case, try rubber. It usually works, and there are also actual mocha gums available.
- Finally, water stains: you can then wet the skin completely with a wet cloth. Then put paper or other material inside the shoes to maintain their shape, and allow to dry in the sun. Once the moisture has left, clean the surface in the same way as in the previous sections.
3. Cloth shoes
- First, you can use an old toothbrush to remove dust.
- In general, soles darken the most, especially in light shoes, and you can use a mixture of baking soda and water and brush on them.
- In addition, you can put the shoes in the washing machine and wash them with cold water. If you do this, allow the shoes to dry in the sun to prevent moisture from contaminating them.
- Don’t forget the shoelaces you can clean with a mixture of two cups of warm water and a teaspoon of dishwashing detergent. Put the ingredients in a container, where you then also put the strips to soak.
- You can also use this mixture in shoes if you put it on with a soft brush. After this, you need to rinse the shoes with cold water, drain and then put something inside them during drying to prevent them from losing their shape.
4. Sports shoes
Many wear sports shoes very often, even daily, so they need cleaning often. Sneakers have features that are thankfully easy to clean – work on the following model:
- First, soak the strips in water with detergent. Then put this same mixture on a clean cloth and clean your shoes using it.
- It is best to use the brush only in white areas.
- Toothpaste is helpful in polishing sports shoes.
- The last step, as always, is to let the shoes dry in the sun for as long as necessary.
5. Patent leather shoes
While these aren’t very common casual shoes, we still want to tell you how to shiny leather properly.
- Many experienced recommend window cleaner and dry cloth for cleaning glossy leather.
- It is advisable to put Vaseline on a cotton cloth, or a material for polishing furniture, as these have been proven to be effective. In addition, these products help to get the shiny skin back in prime condition.
- You can also use vinegar for this purpose, especially if the shoes are very dirty. Moisten the surface with this liquid and brush gently – however, remember that vinegar is acidic, so use it in small amounts and with care.
- Alcohol is also one useful product for removing stains from shiny skin.
You’ll find plenty of tips for cleaning different types of shoes, and if you want to make the affected surfaces look like new, you should always follow the cleaning instructions – otherwise you run the risk of ruining important shoes.