Many people are unfamiliar with treatments or home methods that can help them stop nosebleeds.
In this article, we’ll tell you some methods to help stop bleeding from your nose that you can use at home, at work, and elsewhere.
What causes nosebleeds?
When your nose bleeds, it can be due to several things. However, it is always because the blood vessels in the nasal cavities break. Such bleeding is very common as the veins are much more sensitive in that area.
In most cases, the bleeding does not pose any significant health risks. However, this is only true when there is not much bleeding and it is not caused by an accident.
The main causes of epistaxis are:
- Cold or dry air that irritates the skin and damages blood vessels.
- Irritation caused by allergies or the flu.
- Problems with the sinuses.
- Nose thinning too hard, causing the nasal veins to rupture.
- Wounds, objects stuck in the nose, digging the nose.
- Odor of chemicals or highly irritating substances.
- Excessive use of nasal spray.
- Partition abnormality or broken nose.
Home remedies to stop nosebleeds
It is very important to prevent nosebleeds by avoiding situations that may cause it. For example, keep the environment open, be careful when using toxic substances, and do not use your nose too harshly.
Here are some basic methods to stop nosebleeds quickly:
- When your nose starts to bleed and is not due to an accident or shock, you should first sit with your back in a straight, slightly forward-leaning position.
- Then press the nostril or nostrils closed, pressing them against the septum with your index finger and thumb.
- Inhale slowly through your mouth and hold the position for a few minutes until the bleeding stops.
Here are some other treatments to help you stop nosebleeds:
1. Cold cloths
Soak the cloth in as cold water as possible. You can also use ice cubes. Then put it on the hard part of your nose and on your forehead.
In this way, the nervous system responds by narrowing the blood vessels. You can also press a cloth on the soft part of your nose to get the same result.
Another home remedy to stop nosebleeds is to put an ice cube in your mouth. In that way, the blood vessels constrict faster and prevent blood from flowing into the nose.
2. Apple cider vinegar
Thanks to the astringent effect of apple cider vinegar, you can repair blood vessel walls that were damaged and began to bleed. This treatment is very effective and natural.
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and place it inside your nostril very carefully.
- Don’t press it at all and just let it stand for five minutes. However, you can repeat this again if the bleeding continues.
This home remedy can be really helpful if you want to stop nosebleeds. Steam from cooked onions can prevent bleeding.
- 1 onion
- 500 ml of water
- You just need to cut the onion in half and boil it in half a liter of water. Go to the front of the kettle and inhale slowly for a few minutes.
- Another option is to cut the onion into slices and keep it as close to the nose as possible.
- You can also juice the onion and add a few drops to the corner of your nostrils.
Lemons are the perfect astringent treatment as they heal small wounds as well as prevent infections. If the bleeding is due to something stuck in your nose, lemon can help close the damaged blood vessels.
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 cotton swab
- Squeeze the lemon juice and soak a cotton swab in it.
- Then put it inside the bleeding nostril without pressing it.
- It will probably burn a little. However, do not remove it until 20 minutes have elapsed.
5. Cayenne pepper
This natural treatment is a great way to stop nosebleeds in just seconds. However, be careful with the amount you use as it is very strong and can irritate your nose.
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 250 ml of water
- Add cayenne pepper to warm water.
- Then drink like I do.
- Alternatively, you can soak a cotton ball in it and put it inside your nostril for a few minutes.
You can buy salt water from a pharmacy or prepare it yourself.
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 50 ml of water
- Add salt to warm water and mix well.
- Using a pipette, drop a few drops into your nose while it is still bleeding. The bleeding stops after a while because the salt water promotes scabies.
7. Nettle tea
Nettle is a plant with many medicinal properties. So we recommend that you always keep this herb at home.
- 250 ml of water
- 3 tablespoons dried nettle
- Add the dried nettles to the boiling water and let simmer.
- After simmering for a few minutes, strain the nettles. Soak a cotton ball in the liquid and put it inside your nostril.
Keep in mind that if nasal bleeding does not stop with these home remedies and continues after another 15 minutes, see a doctor. An expert can help you determine the cause of the nosebleed. Likewise, if you suffer from bleeding on a regular basis, you may want to visit to find out the cause.