Time cannot be stopped, not by miracles or by science. Aging is a natural thing and will inevitably happen to everyone. Aging should be treated with dignity and positivity. However, aging doesn’t always have to mean that facial skin loosens and wrinkles in your thirties. Aging can be slowed and prevented by many natural means and simply by taking care of yourself: eating healthily, exercising, avoiding smoking, and drinking enough water.
Premature aging is often due to lifestyle and free radical-induced changes in cells. However, premature aging can be prevented by effective methods. In this article, we take a closer look at aging: what things accelerate aging, and how to slow it down.
1. Avoid these foods to prevent premature aging
Each of us knows the effect of diet on health and beauty: the food we eat can have either a positive or negative effect on the functioning of the body. Many are accustomed to eating hard fats, white flour, salt and sugar from an early age, and while these habits are difficult to get rid of, it is by no means impossible.
Think about the amount of bleached flour you eat by eating bread, or the unhealthy prepared meals you grab from the freezer or dining compartment with you when time doesn’t seem to be enough for cooking at the end of a long day. These foods are high in calories, not to mention additives. The extra calories are stored in the body as fat and cholesterol, and these foods usually do not contain all the nutrients that the skin needs, for example.
What foods should you avoid to prevent premature aging? Let’s see:
- Candies : A large amount of sugar destroys the skin’s important collagen. Collagen keeps skin supple and beautiful.
- Alcohol: Excessive consumption of alcohol causes damage to the liver and the liver is no longer able to remove toxins in the normal way. Accumulated toxins lead to premature aging, such as wrinkles and loose skin. Drink alcohol as recommended.
- Salty foods : Everyone loves chips, salted nuts and other savory snacks. However, too much salt is harmful to the body as it can raise blood pressure and cause other problems in the circulatory system. In addition, excessive salt intake increases visible cellulite.
- Processed meat products such as hodars and hamburgers: these foods contain aging-accelerating sulfites.
- Red meat: Red meat is full of free radicals that attack collagen and cause aging.
- Sugar and carbonated drinks: Soft drinks are harmful to health and beauty.
- All foods that contain trans fats: trans fats cause inflammation, fluid buildup and swelling. In addition, trans fats make us more vulnerable to the side effects of solar radiation and cause heart problems. Avoid these.
2. Stress and worries that are not addressed constructively
Women are more prone to stress than men: women suffer from stress more strongly and often longer than men. However, women are often better able to deal with stress than men, as men are more vulnerable than women to death from stress-related illnesses.
Stress and general worries and anxieties are negative emotions, and if not addressed and addressed properly, they can turn into psychosomatic illnesses. In addition, stress causes premature aging.
- A stressful situation that persists for months or years causes significant changes in the body. The amount of cortisol in the body increases, and cortisol accelerates the heart rate. This can lead to hardening of the arteries and also affects brain health.
- In addition to cortisol, stress can release adrenaline, which causes cellular oxidation. Oxidation prevents the fusion of nutrients and causes fats to build up in the blood.
- Stress also has a serious effect on the body’s resistance. Resistance weakens and signs of premature aging become more visible.
3. Low amount of antioxidants in the diet
Antioxidants are the most important weapon in the fight against aging, as they prevent the damage caused by free radicals. So favor antioxidant foods and focus on eating high quality vegetables and fruits.
Add these dishes to your weekly meal:
- A glass of lemon juice on an empty stomach
- A cup of green or white tea every day
- 2 servings of fatty fish each week
4. The biggest cause of accelerating aging: the sun!
Solar radiation is important for human well-being: the sun gives us a lot of vitamin D and improves mood. The depression familiar to Finns and the seasonally variable mood disorder (SAD) are relieved in the summer in the sunshine. However, the sun can become an enemy if it does not protect itself from its rays in an orthodox way.
In direct sunlight, stays should be limited and the hottest hours of the day should be avoided. In summer and other sunny seasons, a high- coefficient sunscreen should always be used and the skin should also be protected with clothing, hats and sunglasses. Remember that sunscreen should also be worn under makeup and especially well should protect areas of skin that are constantly visible, such as the face, hands, neck, décolleté, ears and shoulders.
Sunbathing should not be practiced and a solarium is by no means a safer option. If you want a beautiful tan, there are many self-tanning creams available today that are far safer than scorching yourself in the sun.
5. Women and calcium
Calcium is an important mineral that the body needs, especially as it ages. Why? The need for calcium increases with age, as women are particularly vulnerable to the osteoporosis brought on by aging. Osteoporosis or bone loss negatively affects quality of life and taking calcium takes care of bones.
Enjoy the following foods daily to ensure adequate calcium intake:
- Unflavoured yoghurt, without sugar. Prefer Greek and Turkish yogurt.
- A glass of milk (if you suffer from lactose intolerance or are vegan, replace cow’s milk with plant-based milk drinks such as almond milk, rice milk, or coconut milk).
- A serving of tofu in salads and other meals.
- 3 walnuts and 3 almonds every day.
If your mother or another close family member suffers from osteoporosis, you should talk to your doctor about how you can ensure adequate calcium intake through diet and supplements. The earlier you start adding calcium, the better.
Try these effective ways to prevent premature aging and keep yourself healthy and beautiful.